Sunday, January 25, 2009

Anxiety Disorders Association of America (ADAA)


What it's like....
By andrea mckeeby (General public)
When I was 18 I was told I had an Anxiety "problem". Yes the word problem was used instead of disorder. No one could tell me exactly why and I was left feeling like I had something wrong with me, like I did something bad. I was punishing myself. As I got older things did get worse. I had OCD (a mild form but bad enough to effect almost everything I did) and depression. After years of different doctor's and medications some that had no help at all and some that made things much worse I was about to give up. Sick and tired I didn't know what to do. I read self-help books and many other things. Then one day I met Dr.Wu. He changed my life. I'm not saying it was over night but for once I understood I had a disorder that wasn't my fault and that I could do something about it. After a few trial runs with different medications we finally found the right mix. Part of finding this was writing down how I felt each day even if I wrote "I don't feel like talking". After awhile a pattern formed and I began to understand when a panic attack was coming on or when I needed to take my med's before things got out of control. I learned where they were coming from and why but most important how to deal. With the help of my doctor and loved one's I made it. I'm now 30. It took until I was 25 to see progress and now I'm at a point in life that I have a life again. One of the hardest things to understand about someone with this disorder is how it works and to not tell them "snap out of it" or "what are you so freaked out about" and so on. Guess that's my advice to anyone who knows anyone they care about that has Anxiety. Be loving, kind and understanding. It makes a world of difference. Hope I could help at least one person out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment